Within New York University, sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. It includes sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, non-verbal, or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:
- Such conduct creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work, academic or residential environment;
- Such conduct otherwise adversely affects employment or academic opportunities.
Examples of sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Verbal abuse or hostile behavior such as insulting, teasing, mocking, degrading or ridiculing another
- Unwelcome or inappropriate physical contact, comments, questions, advances, jokes, epithets or
- Displays or electronic transmission of derogatory, demeaning or hostile materials.