By choosing to join this community, I accept the obligation to live by these common values and commit myself to the following principles:
As a Pitt Student:
* I will embrace the concept of a civil community which abhors violence, theft and exploitation of others;
* I will commit myself to the pursuit of knowledge with personal integrity and academic honesty;
* I will respect the sanctity of the learning environment and avoid disruptive and deceitful behavior toward other members of the campus community;
* I will support a culture of diversity by respecting the rights of those who differ from myself;
* I will contribute to the development of a caring community where compassion for others and freedom of thought and expression are valued;
* I will honor, challenge and contribute to the scholarly heritage left by those who preceded me and work to leave this a better place for those who follow.
By endorsing these common principles, I accept a moral obligation to behave in ways that contribute to a civil campus environment and resolve to support this behavior in others. This commitment to civility is my promise to the University of Pittsburgh and its community of scholars.