“Hostile environment” harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive working or academic environment and has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with the victim’s work or study. Hostile environment sexual harassment can include sexual advances, repeated taunts regarding sexual preferences, taunting jokes directed at a person or persons by reason of their sex, obscene posters with sexual connotations and sexual favoritism in work assignments.
Depending upon pervasiveness and severity, conduct that may be considered sexual harassment includes the
* Unwanted sexual advances
* Unwelcome sexual comments
* Remarks about an individual’s body or appearance
* Unspoken sexual innuendo such as voice inflection when complimenting appearance or gazing at parts of the body other than the face.
* Repeated requests for dates
* Sexual jokes
* Unwelcome sexual gifts
* Sexual assault
* Display of sexually oriented objects, photographs, posters, pictures or cartoons