Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Federal Circuit: 7th Circuit
Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne has been given the speech code rating Yellow. Yellow light colleges and universities are those institutions with at least one ambiguous policy that too easily encourages administrative abuse and arbitrary application. Read more here.
Speech Code Category: Protest and Demonstration Policies, StatementStudent organizations are required to fill out the Event Planning and Scheduling formfor allmeetings,
activities, and events held both on and off campus. The Event Planning and Scheduling form is used to
reserve space on campus, collect event and financial information, and to record information for yearly
awards. Reserving space requires at least two weeks to complete.
Speech Code Category: Harassment Policies, StatementVerbal abuse of another person, including the following:
1. An express or implied threat to:
1. Interfere with an individual’s personal safety, academic efforts, employment, or participation in university-sponsored activities and that under the circumstances causes the person to have a reasonable apprehension that such harm is about to occur; or
2. Injure that person, or damage his or her property; or
2. "Fighting words" that are spoken face-to-face as a personal insult to the listener or listeners in personally abusive language inherently likely to provoke a violent reaction by the listener or listeners to the speaker.
Speech Code Category: Policies on Tolerance, Respect, and Civility, StatementA student who accepts admission to Indiana University agrees to: ... behave in a manner that is respectful of the dignity of others, treating others with civility and understanding ....
Speech Code Category: Internet Usage Policies, StatementThe use of university computing resources to disseminate obscene, pornographic, or libelous materials; to threaten or harass others; or otherwise engage in activities forbidden by the Code is subject to disciplinary action as specified in the Code.
Speech Code Category: Advertised Commitments to Free Expression, StatementStudents retain all of their citizenship rights when enrolled at IPFW.
Speech Code Category: Harassment Policies, StatementHarassment is conduct towards another person or identifiable group of persons that has the purpose or effect of:
1. creating an intimidating or hostile educational environment, work environment, or environment for participation in a University activity;
2. unreasonably interfering with a person's educational environment, work environment, or environment for participation in a University activity; or
3. unreasonably affecting a person's educational or work opportunities or participation in a University activity.
Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct: Student Rights- Right to Freedom from Harassment 13-14
Speech Code Category: Harassment Policies, StatementDiscriminatory harassment is defined as conduct that targets an individual based upon age, color, religion, disability, race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or veteran’s status and that adversely affects a term or condition of an individual’s education, housing, or participation in a university activity; or has the purpose or effect of unreasonably creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment for academic pursuits, housing, or participation in university activities.