About the Organization
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending liberty, freedom of speech, due process, academic freedom, legal equality, and freedom of conscience on our nation’s college campuses. Please visit thefire.org to gain a sense of our work and mission.
About the Role
The Alumni Relations Officer will be primarily responsible for leading FIRE’s Alumni Outreach Campaign by coordinating outreach to alumni at higher education institutions across the country. This position will report to and work directly with FIRE’s Executive Director and in coordination with our marketing, policy reform, and development teams.
This position is expected to involve a moderate amount of travel once pandemic restrictions are lifted (roughly 25%). Occasional work on weekends and evenings should be expected.
The expected start date for this position will be as soon as possible. This role will be based in either our Philadelphia, PA office or our Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return to in-person work.
- Establishing and maintaining both national and school-specific networks of college and university alumni who are interested in and concerned about free speech in higher education and supportive of FIRE’s mission
- Ensuring information on alumni network members is kept up to date to facilitate contact with FIRE and with one another when necessary
- Engaging in specialized, targeted outreach to prominent university alumni regarding new or ongoing cases at their institutions to encourage them to make their voices heard
- Creating easy-to-digest resources for alumni to help them make meaningful change within their campus community
- Using digital platforms including email marketing and social media applications to build outreach networks and quickly spread FIRE’s message to alumni communities
- Overseeing the creation and maintenance of an alumni-specific area on FIRE’s website
- Planning and executing various long- and short-term public awareness campaigns depending on the goals and requirements of the campaign
- Working with other staff members and departments to fully integrate alumni outreach efforts into FIRE’s overall outreach model
- Occasionally representing and promoting FIRE on campuses and at conferences
- Occasionally writing for public consumption, including for FIRE’s daily online Newsdesk
- 3-5 years experience in digital marketing, organizing, fundraising, outreach, or similar positions in which use of digital marketing and networking tools was integral to success
- A B.A. or equivalent degree from an accredited four-year institution is required. Graduate study is not required, but candidates possessing additional credentials will be given extra consideration
- Demonstrated knowledge and passion for FIRE’s mission and an ability to articulate that passion in a way that will make others enthusiastic about our cause
- An ability to build personal relationships with key people/donors/influencers at specific schools
- Familiarity with and a facility for social media and other digital platforms for web-based outreach
- An ability to think creatively when conceiving outreach efforts and campaigns and the ability and willingness to explore new platforms and models for conveying FIRE’s message as widely as possible
- An ability to create content and set objectives and goals for long-term campaigns as well as the ability to quickly design and execute campaigns to convey urgent information to network members
- Possession of a strong, clear vision for execution of duties of position and a willingness to assume a leadership role when executing projects
- A good work ethic, be a self-starter, and have the ability to work independently
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance, a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option, matching retirement contributions, and a generous paid time-off plan.
How to Apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization and how your background matches the responsibilities
- A writing sample that demonstrates qualifications for the position
- At least two professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/. There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.