This position is based in Philadelphia, PA
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit educational foundation devoted to free speech, individual liberty, religious freedom, freedom of conscience, legal equality, due process, and academic freedom on our nation’s campuses. Please visit www.thefire.org in order to gain more of a sense of our work and identity.
FIRE offers a fast-paced and exciting work environment. Working at the headquarters of a national nonprofit, the Development Assistant will be immersed in the fundraising aspects of the organization, while also getting the opportunity to learn about civil liberties in higher education from premier free speech advocates.
FIRE is seeking an organized and energetic Development Assistant to provide support to the Annual Fund Manager and all aspects of the development department. Additionally, the Development Assistant will provide administrative support to the Office Administrator for all aspects of the organization. Development duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Annual Fund Manager will the planning and implementation of fundraising campaigns;
- Track progress of fundraising campaigns, report metrics;
- Correspond with vendors, foundations, charitable funds, matching gift companies, and donors on behalf of the department;
- Conduct research on prospective foundations and donors;
- Use CRM (Salesforce) to to gather data needed on donors, potential donors, supporters, students, and media;
- Manage supporter profiles within Salesforce;
- Write fundraising blogs;
- Oversee direct mail campaigns to supporters;
- Maintain physical and electronic files of all contributions and correspondence with foundations and individual donors; and
- Assist with event planning.
Administrative duties include, but are not limited to:
- Enter donation records into Salesforce;
- Mail thank you letters to donors;
- Assist with answering phones when needed;
- Mail letters, merchandise, and publications weekly;
- Assist in oversight of inventory of organization’s publications and merchandise;
- File donation records, invoices, and other materials as needed;
- Assist the Office Administrator with general office upkeep including ordering supplies and taking receipt of shipments.
A successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Current undergraduate or graduate school student, or recent graduate from an accredited college or university;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent computer skills (Mac), including knowledge of MS Office and the Google/Gmail platform;
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for FIRE’s mission;
- Enthusiasm for fundraising;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- An ability to work independently;
- Be able to lift objects of up to 30 pounds.
- Knowledge of Salesforce will be looked upon favorably, but is not required;
- Previous administrative or office management work experience;
- Data entry experience;
- Previous experience working for a nonprofit.
Candidates must be available 16-35 hours per week between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Work after 5 p.m. is envisioned to be minimal, but may be necessary from time to time.
This position is expected to last for six months. The anticipated start date for this position is September 19th, with an anticipated end date in mid-March.
FIRE’s Development Assistant position pays an hourly rate of $13 per hour. FIRE will also provide a monthly SEPTA transpass if needed.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and at at least two professional references. All applications are confidential. Please address applications to Peyton Cudaback, Director of Human Resources. Applications can be emailed to email@example.com.
FIRE is an equal opportunity employer.