This position will be based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending liberty, freedom of speech, due process, academic freedom, legal equality, and freedom of conscience on our nation’s college campuses. Please visit thefire.org to gain a sense of our work and mission.
FIRE is seeking a self-motivated and highly organized individual with 5-7 years of demonstrated experience to manage the overall human resources and personnel needs of the organization. FIRE currently has 52 full-time employees and 6 part-time employees/interns across multiple states. This position will be part of the organization’s administrative team and report directly to the Chief Operating Officer. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain and update organization’s internal policies as needed in accordance with state and federal law, including the employee handbook and various other policies;
- Serve as administrator for web-based HRIS, Zenefits, including monitoring the time-off/PTO program;
- Work with broker to administer organization’s benefits, including health, dental, life and disability, FSA, and COBRA;
- Process multi-state payroll via Zenefits semi-monthly and ensure state and federal tax compliance;
- Submit employee 403b contributions semi-monthly and employer match annually;
- Oversee hiring process of all potential new employees including application review, interviewing, reference checks, and basic on-boarding;
- Maintain and update internal job descriptions as needed and annually;
- Assist staff with various policy and personnel issues including performance reviews and disciplinary issues;
- Assist with preparation of the financial audit annually;
- Assist with preparation of the administrative and payroll budget annually;
The anticipated start date for this position is as soon as possible.
A successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- An understanding of FIRE’s mission and the ability to articulate it to others;
- 5-7 years of demonstrated HR experience;
- Knowledge of state and federal HR laws;
- Experience with benefits administration and/or experience working with an outside broker;
- The ability to handle challenging situations calmly and equitably;
- The ability to demonstrate superior confidentiality and discretion;
- The ability to communicate with a variety of audiences;
- The ability to work independently;
- The ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel;
- Working knowledge of the Google platform including Gmail and Google Drive.
Candidates must possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university and an active HRCI or SHRM certification is preferred.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option; matching retirement contributions; and a generous paid time-off plan.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. All applications are confidential. Please address applications to Peyton Cudaback, Director of Human Resources. Applications can be emailed to email@example.com.
FIRE is an equal opportunity employer.