This position is for an immediate opening and will be based in Philadelphia or Washington, D.C. FIRE operates on a hybrid work schedule that allows for a mix of in-the-office and remote work for eligible employees. Fully remote work will not be considered for this position.
At FIRE, we believe that free speech makes free people. The right of the individual to speak their mind is fundamental for a free society. So we're on a mission to promote and defend free speech — and we need an entrepreneurial and enthusiastic Digital Communications Associate who can deliver those messages to the public.
In 2022, FIRE’s advocacy expanded off college campuses. We now fight for free speech and expression across America. In higher education, FIRE also defends other individual rights, including due process, academic freedom, and freedom of association. Applicants should be familiar with FIRE’s work on campus and in the broader society.
FIRE consistently produces exciting commentary, research, advocacy, and more to defend free speech rights. The Digital Communications Associate is responsible for sharing this organizational content on FIRE’s social media accounts in engaging and exciting ways, as well as helping to manage FIRE’s social accounts and engagement with community members. The Digital Communications Associate will also be responsible for producing educational, innovative, and entertaining content for our various communications channels, notably Instagram and TikTok.
This position will work within FIRE’s communications team and is expected to collaborate extensively with other departments, including the litigation, development, research, and campus teams.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression’s mission is to defend and sustain the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought — the most essential qualities of liberty. FIRE educates Americans about the importance of these inalienable rights, promotes a culture of respect for these rights, and provides the means to preserve them.
The Digital Communications Associate’s performance will be judged on the quantity and quality of the social content they help produce and how that content increases the public’s exposure to FIRE’s mission and messages.
Responsibilities for the Digital Communications Associate include, but are not limited to:
- Copywriting for FIRE’s social content.
- Engaging with FIRE followers, including responding to comments and fielding questions.
- Assisting in managing FIRE’s institutional social media accounts, including staying up-to-date on current trends and algorithmic updates.
- Reporting weekly and monthly social and video metrics to leadership and FIRE’s board.
- Developing and producing creative projects for FIRE’s institutional accounts, focusing on growing engagement and followers on Instagram and TikTok.
- Collaborating with FIRE’s internal teams to develop social media campaigns and content.
- Collaborating with staff members and departments on general duties and specialized projects, including but not limited to contributing to FIRE’s blog, Newsdesk.
- Performing other support functions for the day-to-day operation of FIRE’s creative process and communications department.
This position involves a limited amount of travel. Occasional work on evenings and weekends will be required.
The expected start date for this position is as soon as possible.
A successful candidate will possess an excellent work ethic, the ability to work independently and on deadline, and — perhaps most importantly — excellent writing and multimedia skills. Creativity is essential for this role. The candidate must also demonstrate a knowledge and passion for FIRE’s mission and an ability to articulate that passion in a way that will make others enthusiastic about our cause.
Other factors we will consider:
- 1-2 years of relevant experience creating and managing the content creation process.
- Familiarity with the organization's mission and ability to persuasively articulate the mission to outsiders.
- Competency across all major social media and content platforms (X, formerly Twitter; Facebook; Instagram; TikTok; YouTube; LinkedIn, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Ability to identify opportunities and run with them.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and general copy-editing skills.
- Ability to work well independently and with others in a collaborative team environment.
- Willingness to learn and grow by asking pertinent questions.
- Flexibility and creativity during the implementation of a new project.
A bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing, business, or related areas is preferred. Special consideration will be given to applicants with filmmaking, photography, video/photo editing, and graphic design skills.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option; matching retirement contributions; and a generous paid time-off plan.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, a writing sample or other demonstration of work (a case study of a successful campaign, for example), salary requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. All applications are confidential. Please address applications to Cait Scanlan, Director of People Operations.
FIRE is an equal-opportunity employer.