In this episode of the Clear and Present Danger podcast, host Jacob Mchangama joins up with historian of science Dr. Michael Shermer to investigate the cross-fertilization between science and free speech.
Dr. Shermer is a historian of science, Presidential Fellow at Chapman University, founder of Skeptic Society and the Skeptic Magazine and author of Heavens on Earth: The Scientific Search for the Afterlife, Immortality & Utopia, Why People Believe Weird Things, Why Darwin Matters, The Science of Good and Evil, and The Moral Arc.
Among the topics discussed are:
- When did scientific freedom make its decisive breakthrough?
- What comes first: Science or free inquiry?
- How did both Islam and Christianity affect science?
- What is the relationship between science and free speech as such?
- Can science be used to suppress free speech?
- How did Benjamin Franklin infuse the Declaration of Independence with Newtonian science?
Email us feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.