Clear and Present Danger podcast – The great disruption: Part 2
In episode 11, we continue to survey the wreckage after hurricane Luther was unleashed on Europe with the Reformation. When the Reformation mutated and spread across the continent, burning questions arose: Could people of different faiths live together in the same state? Should social peace be based on tolerance or intolerance? We look into those and other questions such as:
- How did other Protestant reformers like Calvin and Zwingli react to religious dissent?
- In what manner did English and continental censorship laws differ?
- How did the Catholic Church react to the Reformation?
- Which states were the first to formalize religious tolerance?
- How did the scientific and philosophical ideas of Galileo and Giordano Bruno conflict with the religious monopoly on truth, and what were the repercussions?
Email us feedback at email@example.com.