- Category: Harassment Policies
- Statement Rating: Yellow
- Last updated: January 29, 2015
Sexual harassment consists of the following: … verbal and written comments of a sexual nature, and/or physical conduct of a sexual nature; when such conduct: … c. Has the effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive university environment; or has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual’s employment or learning.
In relation to the foregoing statements, sexually harassing behavior may include, but is not limited to, the following:
1. unwelcome sexual flirtations, advances, propositions, or leering; favoritism based on a sexual relationship (or adverse impact on other members of a group);
2. verbal remarks of a sexual nature whether directed to an individual or a group, or in the guise of humor, including sexually explicit derogatory remarks, suggestive comments, demands, or jokes found to be offensive or objectionable to the recipient;
3. use of sexually oriented photos, posters, cartoons, materials, or themes unrelated to instruction and/or the pursuit of knowledge;
4. graphic or degrading verbal, written, or electronic comments of a sexual nature about an individual or the individual’s appearance;
5. any suggestive or unwelcome physical contact; any aggressiveness such as touching, pinching, or patting; or
6. actual or threatened physical assault.