Sexual harassment is illegal. It is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when … Such conduct has the purpose or effect of threatening an individual’s employment, interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive working or educational environment.
Although there is no universally agreed upon definition of sexual harassment that fits all contexts and circumstances, there is agreement that it can be verbal, non-verbal or physical, and that it can occur once or several times. The following are examples of behaviors generally viewed as sexual harassment when they are unwanted: …
- sexual innuendo and comments;
- asking or commenting about a person’s sexual activities or sexual orientation;
- humor or jokes about sex or females/males in general; …
- sexist or stereotyped comments;
- displaying pictures, calendars, cartoons or other materials with sexual content ….