Missouri State University is committed to providing an environment where issues can be openly discussed and explored. The freedom to exchange views is essential to the mission of the University. This policy is in place to provide a community environment in which open discussion can occur without disrupting the academic mission or daily University functions, subject to constitutional time, place, and manner limitations and without unconstitutionally interfering with the rights of others.
All individuals may exercise the right of assembly, free speech and expression throughout the outdoor areas of campus, when doing so does not disrupt the academic mission or daily University functions. Expressive activities will not be limited to any specific outdoor areas on the University campus. However, the right of assembly and expression does not include unlawful activity that endangers the safety of the campus community or that destroys University property. Forums, rallies, demonstrations, and other similar expressive activities are also not to occur within academic or other University buildings including University residence halls and apartments, or Greenwood Laboratory School. Expressive activities are not to unduly disrupt traffic, either vehicular or pedestrian or violate other time, place and manner parameters specified in this policy.
The following three locations on campus are most appropriate for forums, rallies, demonstrations, and other similar activities:
- The Bear Paw, located in the North Mall
- Trottier Plaza, located at the northwest entrance to Robert W. Plaster Stadium
- Strong Hall Amphitheater, located outside the east entrance to Strong Hall
Individuals are not restricted to these locations for expressive activities. Priority to use these locations will be as follows:
- Members of the University community with a reservation
- Other individuals or groups with a reservation
- Members of the University community without a reservation on a first come, first serve basis
- Other individuals or groups without a reservation on a first come, first serve basis