Student organization requests for the distribution of literature and publicity, the sponsorship of visiting speakers and public performers and the screening of films will be considered in light of the educational purposes and the Catholic identity of Marquette University. Specific attention, therefore, will be paid to the context and purpose of the proposed material.
The University has final discretion in all decisions regarding the distribution of literature and publicity, the sponsorship of visiting speakers and public performances, and the screening of films. In keeping with the intellectual imperative of the University and the instructive value of dialogue, educational or artistic merit and a balanced perspective will be the normative basis for decisions by the Office of Student Development.
The university provides for the distribution of literature by student organizations. The following guidelines apply:
• Only members of the registered student organizations may distribute literature.
• Only approved literature deemed appropriate by the Office of Student Development may be distributed.
• The literature shall clearly identify the student organization responsible for the literature
Material to be posted must be submitted to the Office of Student Development no later two weeks prior to the proposed date of posting, and Marquette Involvement Link event submissions must include the publicity.
All advertising and publicity that contravenes the moral teachings of the Catholic faith or is contrary to Marquette’s Jesuit mission and philosophy will not be approved.
The content of the postings must avoid demeaning or discriminatory portrayals of individual groups, cannot be libelous, violate copyright law, or contain any material that is inconsistent with the community standards of Marquette, including any reference to alcohol, drugs, or sexual innuendos.
- The Office of Student Development will not approve literature that includes language and/or graphic illustrations that dehumanize individuals or foster intolerance of others because of their race, age, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
- Materials will not be approved if they contain offensive language or images.