Hostile Environment Caused by Sexual Harassment: includes any situation in which there is harassing conduct that is sufficiently severe, pervasive, or objectively offensive such that it alters the conditions of employment or limits, interferes with, or denies educational benefits or opportunities. A Hostile Environment can be created by a one-time act that is severe (i.e., a Sexual Assault), or it can be created by repeated acts of less severity (i.e., harassing comments made over a period of time).
Examples of a Hostile Environment Caused by Sexual Harassment include, but are not limited to:
1. Posting pictures of pornography;
2. Consistently telling sexual jokes or stories where it can be overheard by others;
3. Making sexually suggestive remarks about people within ear shot of others;
4. Persisting in unwanted sexual attention; and
5. Using derogatory terms with a sexual connotation.
Sexual Harassment*: Unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature when … such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with a person’s employment or education, or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive employment or educational environment, and has no legitimate relationship to the subject matter of a course or academic research.