NOTE: The article excerpted on this page is from an outside publication and is posted on FIRE's website because it references FIRE's work. The viewpoints expressed in this article do not necessarily represent FIRE's positions.
By Radley Balko at The Washington Post
- Idea: Let’s assign the least experienced police officers to the neighborhoods with the most crime. What could go wrong?
- Samuel Alito, the Supreme Court’s most authoritarian justice.
- Federal judge throws out “cannibal cop conviction,” correctly rules thatthought crimes are not crimes.
- From the American Civil Liberties Union, a criminal defense attorney’s guide to StingRay cellphone monitors.
- Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper talks about marijuana legalization.
- Lawrence, Ind., is the latest town to get a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) armored vehicle from the Pentagon. The thing weighs more than 48,000 pounds, or more than a pound of MRAP for each resident of Lawrence.
- The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education has just launched the Stand Up for Free Speech project, an ambitious plan to sue every public college and university in the country that implements a “speech code.”
Schools: Ohio University Chicago State University Citrus College Iowa State University Cases: FIRE’s Stand Up For Speech Litigation Project Citrus College – Stand Up For Speech Lawsuit Chicago State University – Stand Up For Speech Lawsuit Iowa State University – Stand Up For Speech Lawsuit Ohio University – Stand Up For Speech Lawsuit