This position will be based in Philadelphia, Pennyslvania.
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is a non-profit educational foundation devoted to defending free speech, individual liberty, religious freedom, freedom of conscience, legal equality, due process, and academic freedom on our nation’s campuses. Please visit www.thefire.org to gain more of a sense of our work and identity.
Working at FIRE
FIRE is located in the Curtis Center which is situated in the heart of the historic Old City section of Philadelphia, immediately adjacent to Independence Hall and Washington Square. From this location, FIRE offers a relaxed yet lively working environment where the staff fights an ongoing battle to secure liberty on college campuses across the country. FIRE’s work involves complex and fascinating cases that receive extensive media coverage. This has resulted in FIRE frequently being featured in national news shows, radio shows, and in thousands of national and regional newspapers. FIRE’s senior staff routinely participate in interviews for major media outlets and nationally syndicated talk shows.
FIRE’s content-rich website provides valuable resources to faculty, students, the media, and the public, making it FIRE’s main public relations tool. The website contains many outstanding features such as FIRE’s blog The Torch,
FIRE’s academic journal The Lantern, and Spotlight: The Campus Freedom Resource, which is a database detailing speech codes and other liberty restricting policies at more than 350 schools. Furthermore, as part of a new initiative launched this year the website will also be home to an increasing amount of high quality video that will not only seek to document the betrayal of liberty on college campuses but also serve as a new, dynamic method to spread the mission.
FIRE promotes a corporate culture and working environment where staff members receive a well-rounded experience that familiarizes the individual not only with FIRE’s activities, but also with the moral and intellectual foundations of FIRE’s work.
FIRE is seeking an energetic Program Associate to provide support for maintaining the website, managing e-communications, and executing FIRE’s advertising program. The main focus of this full-time position will be maintaining FIRE’s comprehensive website and managing social media outlets. Some specific responsibilities will be:
- Maintaining, updating, and editing FIRE’s blog, The Torch
- Updating the website with new material
- Developing e-communication materials and releasing electronically to contact lists (press releases, e-newsletters, and other emails to supporters)
- Managing FIRE’s social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
- Troubleshooting website issues with third party web developers
- Investigating and proposing ways to increase website traffic
- Developing strategies to increase social media followership and interaction
- Analyzing website and social media stats
- Creating custom web pages for development campaigns and other special projects
- Working with the Campus Freedom Network (CFN) staff to promote the CFN through social media outlets
- Managing advertising, including Facebook ads
Other major responsibilities for this position also include:
- Editing and uploading multimedia content including podcasts and video
- Coordinating printing and/or publication of The FIRE Quarterly, FIRE’s Annual Report, and FIRE’s annual Spotlight on Speech Codes Report
- Designing small print and web materials such as banners, graphics, brochures, development publications, stationery, and solicitations
- Finding and attending social media conferences that can benefit FIRE’s work
- Staying up to date with advancements in the social media industry
- Copy editing internal and external publications
- Developing and administering an annual media and advertising budget
In addition, the Program Associate will provide front line in-office support for both PC and Macintosh platforms. Some specific responsibilities will include troubleshooting day-to-day computer problems, assisting in maintaining FIRE’s IT infrastructure, and performing upgrades to both hardware and software. Advanced technical knowledge is not required; an aptitude with computers and a willingness to learn is.
This is an entry-level position and is ideal for a person seeking to obtain experience in the areas of web design, advertising, and publication. There is a possibility for advancement and promotion for candidates who have a sufficient length of service with FIRE and who demonstrate outstanding and superior performance in this position.
The start date for this position is immediate, but a specific date is somewhat flexible.
A successful candidate will have a good work ethic, be a self-starter, have the ability to work under minimal supervision, and be dedicated to forwarding FIRE’s mission. Candidates should posses a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university and demonstrate a high level of computer and Internet proficiency, substantial HTML and design skills, excellent writing skills, and be a superb copy editor. Experience with social media, web design, and/or working with multimedia content is a must. A working knowledge of both computer hardware and major software is also preferred. Furthermore, candidates must demonstrate knowledge of FIRE’s mission and willingness to advocate for that mission.
Previous work experience and/or graduate work is a plus, but not required. Candidates that possess experience with social media, web design, working with multimedia content, and/or information technology will be favored.
Salary and Compensation
FIRE offers a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary structure. The benefits package includes employer-paid comprehensive health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, matching retirement contributions, and a generous paid time-off plan.
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and at least two professional or academic references. All applications are confidential. Please address applications to Sean M. Clark; Director, Finance and Operations.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com (preferred) or mailed to:
Attn: Human Resources
601 Walnut St., Suite 510
Philadelphia, PA 19106