Director, Individual Rights Defense Program
Adam Steinbaugh is an attorney and cum laude graduate of Loyola Law
School in Los Angeles. During law school, he served as an assistant to Professor Aaron Caplan, researching the First Amendment issues involved in the use of restraining orders to enjoin civil harassment, and externed for a justice of California’s Second District Court of Appeal. Following law school, Adam practiced entertainment-focused civil litigation in California and wrote for a variety of outlets on matters involving the First Amendment and the Internet.
Adam leads FIRE’s Individual Rights Defense Program, a team of attorneys
and advocates who defend the constitutional rights and civil liberties of
students and faculty members across the United States and across the
Adam is a member of the California and Pennsylvania state bars, admitted
to the Federal District Courts for the Central District of California, Northern
District of California, Souther District of California, and District of Colorado. Adam is also a member of
the First Amendment Lawyers Association.
- No Comment: Public Universities’ Social Media Use and the First Amendment: A public records survey of over 200 public universities and colleges, documenting the use of social media filtering tools to limit what can be posted on institutions’ official Facebook accounts and revealing how institutions often use this technology to censor critics and activists across the ideological spectrum.
- Bias Response Team Report 2017: A survey of 232 bias reporting systems at public and private universities across the United States, revealing that these often anonymous reporting systems subject a broad range of political expression to oversight by police and administrators.
- After FIRE lawsuit, Essex County College finally turns over documents about firing of Black Lives Matter advocate
- Why did a Bellevue College administrator censor an art installation memorializing Japanese-American internment camps? Public records suggest a motive.
- University of South Alabama backs down after ordering student to remove pro-Trump sign
- The Chilling Effect of Investigations
- When to pull the FIRE Alarm: Common types of censorship on campus
- When to Pull the FIRE Alarm (Free Speech, the FIrst Amendment, and How FIRE Can Help): A brief overview of the First Amendment and freedom of expression in higher education and how FIRE can help those whose rights are threatened.
- Excepting the Unacceptable (Or: What to Except When You’re Excepting): Discussing the categorical exceptions to the First Amendment as viewed through the lens of FIRE cases.
- The First Amendment in Cyberspace: How the First Amendment applies to social media and higher education.