Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature, including but not limited to unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, nonverbal, graphic and electronic communications or physical conduct of a sexual nature when: ... ii. such conduct is sufficiently serious that it alters the conditions of, or has the effect of substantially interfering with, an individual’s educational or work experience by creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment (hostile environment). The effect will be evaluated based on the perspective of a reasonable person in the position of a complainant.
Sexual harassment is unwelcome verbal or physical behavior based on a person’s sex (including sexual orientation, gender, gender expression and gender identity, including transgender status). Conduct is considered “unwelcome” if the individual did not request or invite it and considered the conduct to be undesirable or offensive. This includes unwelcome conduct when: ... (2) such conduct alters the conditions of, or has the effect of interfering with, an individual’s educational or work experience by creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment (hostile environment). The effect will be evaluated based on the perspective of a reasonable person in the position of a complainant. While it is not possible to list all circumstances that might constitute Sexual Harassment, the following are some examples of conduct that might constitute such harassment:
- Verbal abuse or offensive comments of a sexual nature, including sexual slurs, persistent or pervasive sexually explicit statements, questions, jokes or anecdotes, degrading words regarding sexuality or gender, suggestive or obscene letters, notes, or invitations;
- Making lewd or sexual comments about an individual’s appearance, body, or clothing;
- Visual displays or distribution of sexually explicit drawings, pictures, or written materials;
- Undue and unwanted attention, such as repeated inappropriate flirting, staring, or making sexually suggestive gestures; or
- Offensive comments regarding a person’s sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, such as persistent mocking or disparagement of a person based on a perceived lack of stereotypical masculinity or femininity.