SF 274 Summary
SF 274 requires institutions to adopt policies similar to the University of Chicago’s Free Speech Policy Statement, prohibits the use of “free speech zones,” and provides protections for student organizations.
- Requires state Board of Regents and the board of directors of each community college to adopt policies similar to the University of Chicago’s Free Speech Policy Statement;
- Eliminates “free speech zones” at public institutions of higher education in the state;
- Protects student organizations by ensuring public colleges and universities cannot deny “benefits or privileges based on the viewpoint of a student organization or the expression of the viewpoint of a student organization”;
- Ensures colleges and universities do not discriminate against student organizations that require that leaders of the organization agree to and support the organization’s beliefs; and
- Allows people whose expressive rights are protected by the bill to file a complaint with the governing body of a public college or university.