Table of Contents
Student Banned from Campus for Facebook Post Makes MSNBC and More
In case you missed it last week, all charges against the Catawba Valley Community College student who was banned from campus for a Facebook post have been dropped, and he is free to step foot again on the school's North Carolina campus. The absurd case alarmed a significant number of free speech supporters and media outlets, resulting in a quick victory for student Marc Bechtol. FIRE remains concerned about the unconstitutional policy used to punish Bechtol's protected speech, which is still on the books at CVCC.
In addition to the multitude of coverage the case received last week, it also has been picked up by MSNBC's The Red Tape Chronicles, NBC Universal, and a few others:
- MSNBC's The Red Tape Chronicles: Student banned after debit card/student ID card complaint is reinstated
- NBC Universal: Facebook rant results in student's suspension
- Instapundit: Censorship in the Ivory Tower: Colleges and Universities are Killing Free Speech
- Gaston (N.C.) Gazette: Student's Facebook post could get him kicked out of college
- United Press International: Student suspended over Facebook post
FIRE’s award-winning Newsdesk covers the free speech news you need to stay informed.