For purposes of this policy, Harassment is defined as physical, verbal, visual or other conduct relating to any protected characteristics described in this Policy and Procedure other than sex or gender when: … Such conduct has the purpose or effect of interfering unreasonably with an individual’s work or academic performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work or academic environment that is, or would be, offensive to a person of reasonable sensitivity and sensibilities (hostile environment Harassment).
Harassing conduct prohibited by this Policy and Procedure includes, but is not limited to, such things as: …
• Engaging in visual conduct such as leering or making obscene, taunting or threatening gestures;
• Displaying suggestive, obscene or degrading material, objects, pictures, cartoons, posters;
• Using visual or audio electronic devices or media (such as radio, television, telephone, social media, computers, email, etc.) to broadcast, distribute or transmit offensive statements, images or other material;
• Making derogatory comments about an individual’s protected characteristics; or jokes concerning protected characteristics or traits;
• Using degrading words relating to an individual’s or group of individuals’ protected characteristics to describe the individual(s);
• Engaging in verbal or written slurs, degrading or negative stereotyping;