It is the policy of Western Oregon University to have guidelines for Time, Place and Manner. These are rules for speech activities on campus.
PUBLIC AREAS Hours: Speech activities are permitted on university grounds and in university buildings during regular business hours except:
1 Classroom buildings
2 Research and laboratory facilities and buildings
4 Student Health and Counseling Center, and
5 Any area or building that has restricted access including offices and special purpose rooms in the Werner University Center.
Speech activities in residence halls and married student housing areas may be regulated by the Director of University Residences. Such regulations shall be content neutral. All meeting rooms and dining areas in the residence halls are subject to this section, insuring that there will not be disruption of regular campus activities.
Location: University Business Not to be Impeded
• NO speech activity shall impede pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
• NO speech activity shall unreasonably disrupt regular or authorized activities in classrooms, office laboratories, and other university facilities or grounds. The Director of Campus Public Safety may restrict speech activity to a reasonable distance from any exit, entrance, staircase, parking lot or roadway to allow access.
• Speech activities shall be conducted at a volume that does not disrupt the normal use of classrooms, offices, and laboratories.
• Speech activities may not be available on portions of the campus and within the university community in order to meet traffic, emergency access, and public transit needs.
• The size, number, and location of posters and lawn signs may be regulated by the administrator responsible for the geographic area.
In order to allow scheduling and to assure public safety, persons desiring to picket or demonstrate are encouraged to notify the Director of Campus Public Safety at least 24 hours in advance.