When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, eliminating the constitutional right to an abortion in the United States, many people expected states to pass laws restricting access to abortion services. Perhaps less expected was that some lawmakers now seek to pass laws restricting -- and criminalizing -- speech about abortion services.
FIRE Legal Director Will Creeley and FIRE Senior Fellow and former ACLU President Nadine Strossen join the show to discuss their recent essay, "That Facebook post about abortion could land you in jail -- if South Carolina legislators have their way."
- Text of South Carolina bill criminalizing speech about abortion
- National Right to Life Committee model legislation
- National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra (2018)
- Bigelow v. Virginia (1975)
- UNC Chapel Hill student government commits to follow First Amendment after suggesting it wouldn't fund pro-life student groups
www.sotospeakpodcast.com YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SotoSpeakTheFreeSpeechPodcast Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/freespeechtalk Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sotospeakpodcast Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/freespeechtalk/ Email us: email@example.com