Table of Contents
‘So to Speak’ podcast: That Facebook post about abortion could land you in jail
When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, eliminating the constitutional right to an abortion in the United States, many people expected states to pass laws restricting access to abortion services. Perhaps less expected was that some lawmakers now seek to pass laws restricting — and criminalizing — speech about abortion services.
FIRE Legal Director Will Creeley and FIRE Senior Fellow and former ACLU President Nadine Strossen join the show to discuss their recent essay, “That Facebook post about abortion could land you in jail — if South Carolina legislators have their way.”
- Podcast transcript
- Text of South Carolina bill criminalizing speech about abortion
- National Right to Life Committee model legislation
- National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra (2018)
- Bigelow v. Virginia (1975)
- UNC Chapel Hill student government commits to follow First Amendment after suggesting it wouldn’t fund pro-life student groups
Subscribe and listen to “So to Speak: The Free Speech Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and Spotify, or download episodes directly from SoundCloud.
Stay up to date with “So to Speak” on the show’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram pages, and subscribe to the show’s newsletter at sotospeakpodcast.com.
Have questions or ideas for future shows? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FIRE’s award-winning Newsdesk covers the free speech news you need to stay informed.