DENNIS ET AL. v. UNITED STATES
Supreme Court Cases
341 U.S. 494 (1951)
Legal Principle at Issue
Whether the Smith Act which makes it a crime to "knowingly or willfully advocate, abet, advise, or teach the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or by assignation" is on its face and as applied to the Petitioners violative of the First Amendment.
Affirmed (includes modified). Petitioning party did not receive a favorable disposition.
Advocated for Respondent
- Irving S. Shapiro View all cases
- Philip B. Perlman View all cases
Advocated for Petitioner
- George W. Crockett Jr. View all cases
- Abraham J. Isserman View all cases
- Harry Sacher View all cases