Alex is an attorney and a journalist whose approach to defending student and faculty rights blends trusted legal strategy and the power of public interest reporting. She leads FIRE’s Campus Rights Advocacy program, a team of attorneys and advocates who help people of all political and ideological persuasions facing civil liberties threats on American college campuses.
Alex is a member of the First Amendment Lawyers Association. She has a J.D. from the University of Wisconsin Law School, a master’s degree in broadcast journalism from Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, and has trained at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. She attended the University of Arizona in her hometown of Tucson, majoring in journalism and French and graduating with honors. She was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Madagascar, where she taught English in rural, underserved schools.
Alex is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, New York, and Wisconsin, where she lives with her husband and their three children.
- In hit to academic freedom, Fourth Circuit holds public universities can punish faculty for ‘lack of collegiality’,
- Who’s allowed to teach ‘Culture in America’? ,
- Delaware State agrees to campus safety initiative — but only if student participants sign a sweeping NDA,
- Stanford Law students shout down 5th Circuit judge: A post-mortem,
- Bluefield State president warns faculty: Support my administration, or else!,
- Report: Stanford student may need to ‘take accountability,’ ‘acknowledge harm’ for reading Hitler’s ‘Mein Kampf’,
- Hamline hiding critical Twitter, Facebook posts amid blasphemy ban controversy,
- Yale Law dean’s message to alumni promises free speech changes. We’re (very) cautiously optimistic.,
- University of Minnesota Medical School’s updated Hippocratic Oath could raise compelled speech concerns,
- FIRE to Claremont McKenna College: No matter what you call it, intimidation chills,
FIRE is a mission-driven organization of hardworking, dedicated team members committed to defending and sustaining the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought.Explore FIRE's Advocacy